5.10.08

Long forgotten...

While shopping at the chinese mart today, I spotted something that I used to snack on when I was little. If I hadn't seen them hanging off the shelves today, I probably would have long forgotten them...
IMG_1745 As I recalled vaguely, my kindy used to give us these tiny sweet topping biscuits aka 花粘餅 as treats during meal times with a mug of milo. I used to nibble off the sugar topping before chewing on the biscuit and put on a silly grin on my face (like some kind of achievement that I conquered the sugar & biscuit!).
Among all, my fave is orange and pinky. Don't you think they are colourful, pretty and cute? I thought kids would love them like I do but it seems not since I rarely see them nowadays. Or maybe I haven't drop by the traditional market? When I was a kid, these biscuits are commonly sold in big metal tins with see through opening at the front and you just need to get a plastic bag from the shop and fill it up with these colourful bits - cheap, yummy and not forgetting the grin! Being a grown up now, I probably wouldn't love them as much anymore but sometimes its still nice to savour the flavour of the past and drown yourself in happy childhood memories...right?

IMG_1747 Another childhood snack of mine is prawn cracker. The one I used to snack on was in pink packaging with stripes, malaysia produce, not sure if its still available.

Anyway, there are still prawn crackers on the market but don't you think they are not as popular as its potato competitor? Because potato crisps seems to rule over most of the shelves spaces with huge ass selection of types and brands that consumer like me tend to overlook prawn cracker since. Fear not Prawny. Calbee has whipped up more exciting flavours to compete with other junkies available on the market. Currently our chinese marts here import original, BBQ, Spicy, black pepper and hot&sour. Of course there are few other brands but lets stick to the well known Calbee before my post gets lengthy.

"Let us savour the past, celebrate the present, and sense the future...''

Dearies, have you, like me, forgotten about your childhood snacks too?

Drooling,
Juanie

2 comments:

Starningblue said...

Better make sure those confections are not made in China. Some of them only some milk based ingredients are brought in from China during manu so watch out!

Mum just told me even Kim Chi made in China cannot eat -_-"

打雜的 said...

No worries. I always check manufacturers origin of the products I buy. And usually focus on brands I'm familiar with.

Kim Chi? Stick to Korea's one. haha. Otherwise I can make myself too...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...