4.4.09

Japanese Cotton Cake



Life shouldn't be all smooth sailing. We must learn the downs to have more appreciation for the good things that happen to us. Isn’t it true? Just like cooking and baking, without experiences how would we know the mistakes that we can potentially make?

Wouldn’t it be nice if the person you care about (or the person that cares for you) goes out of the way to shower some TLC, isn’t it touching? A simple gesture goes a long way, just like baking simple cupcakes to make not only the receiver happy but also the baker.

I don’t usually end up eating a lot of my own bakes. Not because it is not yummy, it is just a cook’s thing. I plainly enjoy watching my love ones enjoy what I bake for them. For this Japanese Cotton Cake, my cousin and baby sis literally scoop the whole of first batch in minutes off the cooling rack and I’m thinking, “Is this really THAT good?”

I was having fun beating egg whites. Of course, I didn’t know what it meant when I first started reading recipes. Going through blogs and baking books really helped a lot; tips and advice on beating egg whites have paid off. Pictures of how stiff peaks should look like really made a difference, sparing my imagination of what it should be so I’m going to share what I have learnt.

Beating Egg Whites:
Egg whites must not be tainted with any yolk or wet utensils
Eggs should not be cold, use room temperature eggs
Do not overbeat the whites, they will turn watery and not of good use anymore
Use beaten whites immediately. I prepared the other part of the batter for folding in before beating whites to avoid letting my whites sit after beating

This video by epicurous would give a visualization: Whipping Egg Whites



In a Loaf
In a Cup
Cute cupcake liner from Daiso


Ingredients

60g melted butter
80g plain flour
80ml milk
1 egg
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
120g sugar
Pinch of salt


How To

Add butter and flour together and mix well. Add milk and combine well.
Add 1 egg and 5 egg yolks slowly till combined.
Whisk egg whites to soft peaks in another bowl. Add in sugar and salt and whisk to stiff peaks.
Fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture till incorporated
Pour mixture into or muffin cups about ¾ full. Bake at 170C for 25 mins.
Remove from baking tray when baked and set aside to cool.
Warm love,
Starningblue

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...